Geoffrey C. Arlen is Certified by the Supreme Court of the State of
New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney.
Q: What is a certified civil trial attorney?
Certified civil trial attorney is a designation granted by the New Jersey Supreme Court to attorneys who are able to demonstrate sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge, and skill in civil trial practice. The Supreme Court, through its Board on Attorney Certification, designates only those lawyers who apply for certification and who are able to meet the standards set by the board and approved by the court.
Q: What does it mean when an attorney is certified?
A certified attorney is more than just an attorney who specializes in a particular area of law. A New Jersey attorney who is certified by the Supreme Court as a civil trial attorney must have:
- been a member in good standing of the New Jersey bar for more than 5 years,
- fulfilled ongoing continuing legal education requirements,
- demonstrated a substantial level of experience in civil trial law,
- been favorably evaluated by other attorneys and judges familiar with his or her work, and,
- taken and passed a written examination in civil trial law.
Q: How many attorneys are certified in New Jersey?
As of December 2016, approximately 1,650 hold board certification out of roughly 75,000 active lawyers in New Jersey.